MPH Bookstores


MPH Bookstores currently has 26 outlets in Malaysia: 19 in the Klang Valley, 2 each in Johor and Pulau Pinang, 1 each in Perak, Melaka and Kedah operating under the MPH Bookstores brand name.  The company also operates Bookmark, a secondary chain of bookstores launched in June 2000 to offer value for money merchandise to a different segment of market readers.  Bookmark outlets are located in Senawang, Negeri Sembilan and Plentong, Johor.


MPH BOOKSTORES SDN BHD
5th Floor, No. 15 Jalan Tandang
P O Box 147, Jalan Sultan
46710 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Tel : (603) 7781 1800
Fax: (603) 7782 1800


MPH Historical Timeline


2002 - MPH Bookstores Sdn Bhd was bought over by a Malaysian company, Jalinan Inspirasi Sdn Bhd, which is part of a large Malaysian conglomerate controlled by Malaysian businessman Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Al-Bukhary. Jalinan Inspirasi changed its name to MPH Group Malaysia Sdn Bhd to reflect its core businesses and it now owns MPH Bookstores (Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia), MPH Distributors (Malaysia and Singapore) and MPH Library Services (Singapore).


2000 - The company changed its name to MPH Ltd in March 2000 to reflect the change in its majority ownership since 1998. MPH Bookstores Sdn Bhd was 100% owned by MPH Group (M) Sdn Bhd which in turn was a subsidiary of MPH Ltd, a public company listed on the stock exchange of Singapore.


1972 - Jack Chia, acquired MPH. MPH then became known as Jack Chia-MPH Ltd.


1963 - Following the announcement of the Malaysian nation in 1963, the company changed its name to Malaysia Publishing House and new bookstores were opened in Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Malacca. To the public, Malaysia Publishing House has always been known as MPH.


1927 - MPH was incorporated as Malaya Publishing House when it became a public listed company.


1906 - It changed its name change to the Methodist Publishing House.


1893 - The company known then as the Amelia Bishop Press moved to Singapore’s Raffles Place, and changed its name to the American Mission Press. Rev William T Cherry turned the foundations of this mission press into a multi-faceted organisation, which diversified into book printing, publishing and distribution.


1815 - MPH Bookstores has its roots when William Milne, a young missionary, established a permanent mission press in Malacca. This establishment moved to Singapore in 1890 with the primary objective of printing literature.